United Nations Development Programme
Trinidad and Tobago
A Brief History
UNDP has been a long-standing development partner to the Government of Trinidad and Tobago for over fifty (50) years. It was established in 1961, and introduced several programmes to develop the people and to establish many institutions to facilitate national growth out of a colonial past.
The programmes included the East Coast Seismic Survey, where during the UN Development Decade (1961-1970) UNDP provided technical assistance leading to the discovery of oil and gas in Trinidad and Tobago, which today is the backbone of the national economy.
UNDP was also instrumental in the establishment of institutions such as the Caribbean Industrial Research Institute (CARIRI), Metal Industries Company (MIC), Institute of Marine Affairs (IMA), Environmental Management Authority (EMA), and the Telecommunications Department at the John Donaldson Technical Institute and Hydro-graphic Unit.
Capacity development within the Public Sector was also a priority in the development decades of the 60s and 70s when Legal Draftsmen, Town Planners, Development Planners, Land and Hydro-graphic Surveyors were trained.
UNDP's current role in Trinidad and Tobago is that of policy advisor and provider of technical support to the Government and the people as required, while coordinating the efforts of the entire UN system.
What We Do
has evolved from technical cooperation to that of partner and provider
of policy and knowledge advisory services to the Government.
Its programme of support is based upon the
United Nations Development Assistance Framework which is aligned to the
country's National Strategic Plan, Vision 2020, and highlights the UNDP
Its programme of support is based upon the United Nations Development Assistance Framework which is aligned to the country's National Strategic Plan, Vision 2020, and highlights the UNDP focus areas.
The programmes include
The programmes include
HIV & AIDS
Energy & the Environment
Private Sector Engagement
UNDP has established Public-Private Sector Partnerships in Trinidad and Tobago with the Chambers of Industry and Commerce, the Manufacturers' Association, and various large and small businesses. UNDP is a strong advocate for Corporate social Responsibility (CSR) working with these partners to introduce and/ or strengthen their programmes in this field. For more information on UNDP past and future initiatives in this area click here.
UN System Initiatives
Joint initiatives with UN agencies and the Private Sector have been programmes such as Sports for Development (HIV-AIDS and the World Cricket Cup), a partnership between UNDP/UNICEF/ UNAIDS-PAHO/WHO and the West Indian Players Association (WIPA); development of a joint UN programme to cost the implementation of MDGs; and development of of a programme to support the Small and Micro Enterprise Sector has recently been approved and will be rolled out during 2009.
Other Areas of Development
Currently the Government funds 90% of its development efforts from its domestic resources. The remaining 10% is met form a mixture of grants, loans and technical assistance from multilateral and, to a much lesser extent, bilateral sources. In this resource rich environment, partnerships are critical to avoid duplication of effort.
Given this reality and in line with the UN reform effort the UN System is moving to a joint UN response to the countryís needs co-operating with its multilateral partners through information sharing and mutual participation on programme and project advisory boards. UNDP has also developed strong partnerships with the NGO sector and has considerably strengthened its partnership with the national and international private sector in Trinidad and Tobago.
UNDP, Trinidad and Tobago also serves Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles, both of which are Net Contributing Countries (NCCs). Aruba has not approached UNDP for assistance since 2001. Collaboration with the Netherlands Antilles has been ongoing.
This has been mainly in the area of governance with UNDP providing assistance for strategic planning, financial management and partnering with the Government on major negotiations with international corporations. In 2007 ground work undertaken by UNDP work on Poverty Reduction project for the Netherlands Antilles was used by the Government as the basis for determining allocations to its poverty reduction programmes and projects, funded by the Non government Organization, Uitvoeringsorganisatie Stichting Ontwikkeling Nederlandse Antillen (USONA).
In 2009, UNDP initiated a new project with the government of the Netherlands Antilles. "Capacity Development for Nation Building in the Netherlands Antilles".